PAGES

07/09/2013

The Balancing Act

I have touched on this subject before but I feel the need to talk about it again - The actual act of balancing taking care of someone else and looking after myself.

Some people would say no matter what you should always put the person you have to care for 1st, which is what a lot of carers do. But by doing this they are putting themselves and the person they care for at risk, because if say for example you break your foot, how on earth are you going to be able to do the things you normally do for the person you care for.............?

I have only been a carer for a few years now and I'm already seeing and feeling the effects of neglecting my own health. Last June I actually passed out, which is not something that has happened to me before. Also because I have neglected injures I have incurred while taking care of #raspberrytalk my injures have not healed properly and because I have not gone to see the doctor they have not been treated properly either.

However I did go and see the doctor about passing out and they did the usual blood tests, MRI and I was finally sent to a neurologist who put it all down to stress! So I was put on Pregabalin because I was also having stress induced migraines (which is something I will talk about in another blog).

it has really only been in the last few months that I have started try to take care of my own health, which in itself is difficult. Putting my own health 1st goes against my instincts as a person. For as long as I can remember I have always been the sort of person to put someone else's needs before my own well being.

Seriously though, I really need take better care of myself, because I have a responsibility to someone else's health and well being. If my health and well being is not good, how on earth am I going to be able take care of someone else's?

So how do you balance looking after someone else and yourself? I really don't know but I am trying my hardest to balance both. I don't think there is a straight forward answer to this question.........................

Take Care of Each Other
Carer's Vent


No comments:

Post a Comment